Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe

Post image for Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe

by Carol Kicinski on July 31, 2009

On a hot and sticky September afternoon in the year 2000 I walked into a sterile, frigid building, looked into his eyes and fell head over heels in love with a stranger.

His name is Julian. He is a thoughtful, artistic, sensitive soul with a laugh that comes from the very depths of his being. He loves music, art and Pokemon. He is one of my g-kids.

Julian is one of the biggest supporters of my gluten-free lifestyle and always very concerned that what I eat not be harmful to me. He is my self declared number one taste tester for new recipes, especially for the sweets and treats.

Last week he asked me to give him cooking classes. We started with something simple, Peanut Butter Cookies.

These cookies are the perfect recipe for children. They require no fancy gadgets, just a bowl and a wooden spoon. No sharp implements, no dangerous mixer beaters. Plus they get to use their hands which is a big plus! I took oven duty, putting them in and taking them out and he did the rest.

We had a fun afternoon, he learned about measuring and stirring, got to lick the bowl and spoon, we chatted and laughed and best of all we were rewarded with some really delicious cookies.

These cookies may be easy to make and a great project for kids but believe me they are not to be relegated to the “kid’s food” category. They are sugary, chewy and utterly fantastic!

The fact that they are flourless is a plus but honestly you will never miss the flour, they are hands down the best peanut butter cookies I have ever had. Julian say’s it is because of the extra love he put in, could be. Try them yourself and let me know if it is Julian’s extra love that makes them so special or if they are just plain fantastic. Don’t worry, I’ll never tell.

Making Gluten Free Peanut Butter CookiesJulian making gluten free cookies

Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe

1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup granulated sugar plus more for rolling the cookies in
1 large egg – lightly beaten with a fork
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicon baking liners.

In a large bowl mix the peanut butter with 1 cup sugar. Stir until well blended. Add the egg, baking powder and vanilla. Stir well. Pour some additional sugar in a small bowl. Take 1 tablespoon of the dough and roll in to a ball. Roll the dough ball in the sugar and place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the dough.

Take a dinner fork, stick it in the sugar and gently press down each dough ball to flatten, then turn the fork 90 degrees and gently press again, making the traditional hatch markings of a peanut butter cookie.

Bake for 10 minutes. Take out of over and let them cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Gently transfer the cookies to a rack to finish cooling.

Makes 24 gluten free cookies.

“I love your gluten free recipes – I can now have my desserts.” – F.R.

Categories:    Cookies & Candies

Jennifer August 1, 2009 at 4:06 am

He sounds like such a caring, sweet young boy!!! He is just glowing helping you with those cookies!! Thanks for this great recipe :)

H.Peter August 1, 2009 at 5:47 am

Brilliant post.

Sue August 1, 2009 at 9:23 am

I LOVE little boys. (That came out wrong, you know what I mean.)

I'm amazed that those cookies stay together. They must be the moistest, more peanut buttery things on the planet.

Peter G August 1, 2009 at 10:06 am

I love the simplicity of this Carol…had no idea you could make cookies without any flour. And Julian looks like a natural in the kitchen too!

Helene August 1, 2009 at 12:39 pm

Your son is so cute. Nice helper in the kitchen. Love your cookies. Anything with peanut butter and I like it.

gfe--gluten free easily August 1, 2009 at 4:26 pm

Another G-kid cutie you have there, Carol! I'm quite the fan of flourless peanut butter cookies myself. I use the recipe that calls for brown sugar vs white, but I know many who like both. Yum in either case.

Thanks for sharing!

Elissa December 5, 2012 at 2:58 am

I use the brown sugar version, too, and love it! It’s almost too delicious. Technically I’m not supposed to eat peanuts OR sugar, but I love making these for my family on special occasions (and they certainly love for me to make them, too!)

Carol Kicinski December 6, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I understand about too delicious! You can make these nut free with Sunbutter – just add a few drops of lemon juice or the cookies will be an odd color but they taste great! And woould be (practically) guilt free!

Susan @ SGCC August 1, 2009 at 8:08 pm

What a gorgeous child! Seriously. He is destined to be a heartbreaker some day.

Those are the first cookies I ever made with my daughter for all of the same reasons. Luckily, they are pure awesomeness! Yours turned out perfectly!

pigpigscorner August 2, 2009 at 1:38 am

He sounds so sweet =) Anything with PB for me!

Miss | A August 2, 2009 at 12:07 pm

Julian is gorgeous!! Reminds me of my son, same exact age! who loves pokemon and cooking and has long hair. See my blog for pics of him. They would be great friends don't you think?! I can not believe you are a granny! I had to look at your picture again and again! you look great!! XO

Sonya August 6, 2009 at 8:36 am

I made these yesterday and they came out really great. Thanks for the recipe!

fiOrdivanilla August 8, 2009 at 8:55 am

these biscuits are simply… fabulous!

Personal Chef Barb August 19, 2009 at 10:17 am

What a cutie! Thanks for the recipe, I have made these before and loved them. I will send a link to my 11 year old nephew who is an aspiring chef. We made Pots de Creme together recently and I heard he went home and grilled cheeseburgers for my sister! Btw, have you tried this recipe with almond butter? Seems like it would work.

Ester D. Puente August 22, 2009 at 4:18 pm

LOVE these! thank you for posting the recipe!

Charlotte December 6, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Hi again Carol,
I was feeling blue tonight and so my hubbie helped, yes I did just write my hubbie helped me to make these cookies. They were lovely, had a chew about them, which is always a good thing for GF biscuits, and I just wanted to say Thank You very much. Hope you're having a very pleasant Sunday evening, very best wishes, Charlotte (cupcake corner – again!)

Jody January 9, 2010 at 9:06 am

This is such a wonderful cookie recipe. The batch never lasts more than a couple days at our house. My husband, who is gluten free, loves them. And my son who is nearly three LOVES TO HELP. I was thinking if I make a 1/2 batch and remove the egg, it would make great edible playdough. The dough itself is really tasty (not something you see with many g-free recipes).

Elizabeth August 27, 2010 at 5:42 am

My Aunt Judy just got back from a pack trip (horses) to mountains in Banff, Canada and the camp cook made this same recipe. Judy said they are some of the best peanut butter cookies ever!

Anonymous October 11, 2010 at 8:36 am

thank you so much for these! I was looking for a dessert to make my son while my wife was out. It's so hard to find good desserts with a GFCF diet. These cookies are amazing. I almost can't believe I made them.

Jesica Ronning March 18, 2011 at 8:01 pm

These are GREAT! My family eats them right up! I love that they have a more peanut butter taste!

Allison August 28, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I have been making these for probably 15 years, without the baking powder, from the recipe “Unbelievable Peanut Butter Cookies” from the side of the C&H sugar bag. They are awesome – I like to sprinkle a little extra kosher salt on top.

Katherine January 12, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I got a recipe like yours out of the newspaper over 25 years ago. Alas, my boyfriend likes chewy cookies. The natural peanut butter I use makes crispy ones. I guess I will experiment with adding extra egg and sweet rice flour.

Carol Kicinski January 13, 2012 at 7:57 am

I usually use really creamy, not natural peanut butter and depending on how long I bake them for they rae either crisy or chewy.

Samantha February 1, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Hey there, I had to use natural PB as that’s what I had, I added less than 1TB of butter to make up for the fat. The resulting cookie was a little less crispy than without the butter. Such a yummy recipe…these aren’t going to last long….

Carol Kicinski February 3, 2013 at 10:03 am

I understand about them not lasting long! Great solution with the addition of a bit of butter, love it!

Jeremy Verrillo November 15, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Cindy June 7, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Hi Carol, I love this recipe. I stumbled upon it and had to try it right away. Then I had to blog about it right away. Thanks so much for a great recipe.

Carol Kicinski June 7, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Thank you Cindy! Enjoy.

Barbara November 19, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Just made these with 1/2 cashew butter and 1/2 sunbutter. Also tossed in a few chocolate pieces. Yum!!! Thanks for this recipe. My hubby said the cookies “met a deep need.” :)

Carol Kicinski November 20, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Haha – I love the way your hubby talks! You are very welcome.

Nicki January 17, 2013 at 9:11 pm

You’ll have to tell me if my substitutions are gluten free. I used sunflower butter and nutella instead of peanutbutter. Yummy. Thanks for recipe. Quick and easy to do.

Carol Kicinski January 18, 2013 at 9:42 pm

The sunflower butter was probably fine but there is a bit of controversy over Nutella. I am not convinced personally it is gluten free. I use Justin’s chocolate hazelnut spread instead. Anyway, your recipe sounds yummy!

Hana March 13, 2013 at 11:59 am

I hope you will answer me, how can I substitute the eggs (I don’t have egg substitutions in Egypt that are commercial) do you have anything natural that I can do? Thank you, this seems like a great recipe :)

Carol Kicinski March 14, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Hi Hana, although I have not tried it with this particular recipe you can take either chia seeds or ground flax seeds, and soak them in water for an egg substitute. For each egg mix 1 tablespoon ground flax or chia seed with 3 tablespoons warm water and let sit for 5 minutes or until it is gelatinous. Good luck, I hope this helps!

Kassm March 30, 2013 at 5:55 am

Hi Carol,

I really enjoyed reading your recipe. I did try it tonight but had to replace the peanut butter with cashew butter to make it salicyilate free. I loved the taste but could not get the texture right! It was not crispy enough and easily broke when I tried to get it off the baking try, I might have flattened them to much before baking! Any suggestions on how I can make it crispy?

Carol Kicinski April 3, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Hi! I have never made them with cashew butter but I have with Sunbutter often so I see no reason why it would be different. My husband likes the cookies crispy and I like them not as crispy – to get crispy I just cook a few minutes longer and then let them cool on the pan completly (best baked with parchment or silicon baking mat on the pan) then peel them off. Hope that helps!

Carey Ann April 4, 2013 at 9:19 pm

These are such a treat! Perfect amount of peanut butter, chewiness & sweetness. Thank you so much for this recipe!! Definitely a keeper! =)

Carol Kicinski April 6, 2013 at 9:18 pm

My pleasue, so happy you enjoyed them. They are a family favorite around here!

Egads April 10, 2013 at 7:49 pm

I am cooling some of these right now! I hope they get a bit harder as they cool because they wouldn’t be sharable if they don’t (Although still delicious). Thanks for an easy GF recipe- I’m giving these and some of these: to my future sister in law who is strictly GF. I don’t do much GF baking so thanks!

Carol Kicinski April 11, 2013 at 9:02 pm

They should have hardened as they cooled otherwise you could bake a minute or two longer. I hope you enjoyed them.

Francis June 12, 2013 at 9:06 am

was really looking for some quick cookie recipe.. and here it is.. Thanks for sharing.

Carol Kicinski June 15, 2013 at 1:34 pm

My pleasure glad you enjoyed it!

Joi August 28, 2014 at 8:18 pm

First things first, what a beautiful child! He sounds like he’s as beautiful inside as he is outside. As for the cookies, I am making them tomorrow! If it weren’t so late I’d be in the kitchen making them right now – but it’d stress out my cat if I got up from the couch right now. Thanks for all your recipes. On a serious note, you’ve helped make my (health-dictated) transition to a gluten free life much easier and yummier. You’ve kept me sane and for that my husband, daughters, and cats thank you!

Carol Kicinski September 2, 2014 at 3:48 pm

haha You are so welcome! I’m happy to help :) I hope you and your family enjoy the cookies and come back for more recipes!

darkocean October 3, 2014 at 2:32 pm

For cookies that need ‘flour’ try taking oatmeal and puting it in a coffee grinder/food processes for oatmeal flour :) there’s no wheat there, or cherieos check-mix rice chex exc for your flour. Some cookies need them.

Carol Kicinski December 1, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Thanks for the tip :)

Mel White October 28, 2014 at 12:56 pm

I can’t wait to try these peanut butter cookies, just what I’ve been looking for; BUT — any nutritional information? I’d love to at least know calories — fat and sugar would be good. Then I can fit them into my day. THANKS!

Carol Kicinski December 1, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Hi Mel!

I haven’t measured out any of the above, but I know of a fantastic site that can calculate everything for you. It’s called Calorie King. Hope this helps!

Sarah Russek January 24, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Very good!

Ken April 17, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Awesome. Made with half brown and half granulated sugar. Any ideas how to make them a little more moist?

Carol Kicinski June 9, 2015 at 12:57 pm

Yes Ken, Just cook them a few minutes less then the recipe instructs. Enjoy!

Akenjeli June 20, 2015 at 3:30 am

Delicious. I just made a batch. I decided to do a test run in preparation for making them tomorrow for someone. One batch came out a bit too crispy and black on the bottom (I used aluminum foil and cooked the crispy batch a bit longer than 10 minutes); however, my first batch was perfect (cooked with aluminum foil and at the recommended time). I cant wait to make another batch tomorrow. I have the hang of it now (fingers crossed). Although, I will add less sugar as these were just a tad too sweet for me. Love this recipe! So easy.

Carol Kicinski June 24, 2015 at 12:05 pm

Yay, I’m glad you liked them :) These are one of my favorites just because of how easy they are! xo,

Nicole September 6, 2015 at 2:43 pm

These look great! Need to buy some GF baking powder and GF vanilla!

Lindsay September 16, 2015 at 4:44 pm

Can you just substitute one cup brown sugar instead of granulated sugar? Or would it be different measurements ? Recipe sounds great can’t wait to try !

Carol Kicinski October 23, 2015 at 9:43 am