Gluten-free filo pastry is not an easy recipe to come by. Lucky for you, we have a delicious and simple one right here! Gluten-free filo dough is perfect for Greek spanakopita, pastries like guava and cream cheese filled, and so much more. Fill these with something sweet for a gluten-free dessert or something savory for a gluten-free appetizer or snack.
- 1¼ cups super-fine white rice flour
- ¼ cup sweet rice flour
- ¼ cup sorghum flour
- 4 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon agar powder or gelatin
- 1 egg
- ½ cup warm milk of choice (rice, hemp, soy), divided
- 1 stick unsalted butter or margarine or dairy-free replacement , melted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Mix rice flour, sweet rice flour, sorghum flour, xanthan gum and agar together. In a separate bowl, combine egg, milk, butter and honey.
- Make a well in the dry mixture and add the liquids. Mix together using a fork, gradually incorporating the dry ingredients into the wet. The dough should be soft but not sticky. If dough is too dry, add more milk.
- Gather dough into a flat cake. Wrap in plastic wrap until ready to use. Dough may be refrigerated for later use but should return to room temperature before it is rolled out.
Originally published in Gluten Free & More.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.