Gluten Free Sunbutter Glazed Chocolate Donuts
There is something about donuts that makes any day a little better. Don’t believe me, just ask a cop. I have a theory as to why it is a cliché that cops eat donuts; they spend their days serving and protecting an often ungrateful public – kind of like being a mom!
If a donut makes the day seem a little brighter, well I say go for it! Of course fried, gluten filled donuts (aka fat pills) aren’t the healthiest way to go if one needs a little brightness in the day. Too much work to repair the damage later.
These Gluten Free Sunbutter Glazed Chocolate Donuts are a better option; they are baked not fried, are gluten, dairy, egg and nut free, have some whole grain goodness from brown rice flour, and are vegan. If you want to make them even healthier, just substitute the organic sugar with an equal amount of coconut palm sugar.
You can even make your own refined, sugar free, powdered sugar by placing 1 cup coconut palm sugar and 2 teaspoons tapioca starch in a spice grinder and grinding until it turns into a fine powder. Use this to replace the cup of powdered sugar in the recipe.
If you don’t have a donut pan, you can bake these as muffins and cook them about 5 minutes longer.
So if you need a little something to brighten up your day (or to use as bribery on your own ungrateful public – aka the kids!) give these quick cooking, healthier donuts a try.
Gluten Free Sunbutter Glazed Chocolate Donuts Recipe
Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Donuts
- 1½ cups superfine brown rice flour
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 1 cup rice milk
- ½ cup grapeseed or other neutral flavored oil plus more for the pans
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup creamy Sunbutter
- 1 cup powdered sugar measured then sifted
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons rice milk
- Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Donuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush two (6 each) donut pans with some oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the brown rice flour, tapioca starch, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt, breaking up any lumps from the cocoa powder.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, rice milk, oil, and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pans, filling the donut cavities almost full. Alternatively, you can put the batter into a large food storage bag, cut off about ¼ inch from one of the corners and squeeze the mixture into the pans. Bake for 15 minutes or until the donuts spring back when touched lightly and a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owner’s. This blog accepts free manufacturers’ samples and forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. Affiliate links may be included in this post.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.