- Cocoa powder, for dusting the ramekins
- 8 ounces bittersweet or dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus more for greasing the ramekins
- 3 large eggs plus 3 large egg yolks (see note)
- 8 ounces powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons white rice flour
- 2/3 cup tapioca starch
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon sorghum flour
- Pinch of salt
- Ice cream, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Grease 4 small ramekins (6 ounces each) with butter, then dust with cocoa powder.
- Set the ramekins in the refrigerator to chill while preparing the batter.
- Melt the dark chocolate and 8 ounces of butter in the top level of a double boiler over medium heat, stirring often with a spoon until melted and uniform.
- Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg yolks, powdered sugar, and the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the white rice flour, tapioca starch, sorghum flour, and salt.
- Once the chocolate and butter are melted, remove from heat and whisk in about ¼ of the egg mixture at a time, stirring quickly so that it is incorporated without “cooking.”
- Once all of the egg mixture is blended in, add the flour blend and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the chilled ramekins. (Filled ramekins can be refrigerated for several hours before baking if desired.)
- Bake the ramekins for 12 minutes. The timing is important. Too long and you’ll have solid cake. Too short and the outer part of the cake will not be cooked enough to support the gooey center.
- Slide a knife around the edges of the cakes to release them from the ramekins.
- Flip upside down onto plates.
- Top with ice cream if desired, but be sure to serve them immediately.
Note: Consumption of raw or undercooked eggs should be avoided especially by young children, pregnant women, elderly persons, and those with weakened immune systems. Pasteurized eggs are a safer alternative.
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.