Pumpkin Praline Cake
- Gluten-free non-stick cooking spray
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature, divided use
- 1½ cups light brown sugar, packed
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup chopped pecans, divided use
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ cups sugar
- ¾ cup grapeseed or vegetable oil
- 1½ cups all-purpose gluten-free flour blend with xanthan gum (if blend does not contain xanthan gum, add ¾ teaspoon)
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups pure pumpkin puree
- 4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, divided use
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Spray two 9-inch round cake pans with cooking spray.
- Melt ¾ cup butter with the brown sugar and heavy cream in a saucepan over low heat, stirring to combine.
- Reserve ½ cup of the caramel for serving.
- Divide the remaining caramel between the prepared cake pans.
- Sprinkle ¾ cup chopped pecans over the caramel, dividing them between the 2 pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, 1½ cups sugar, and oil.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and baking soda.
- Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Whisk in the pumpkin and 2 teaspoons of vanilla.
- Pour the batter over the caramel and pecans, dividing it evenly between the 2 pans.
- Place the cake pans on a baking sheet (the caramel may bubble up the sides of the cake while baking) and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the top of the cakes spring back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pans for 10 minutes.
- Place a wire rack over the cake pans and invert.
- Remove the cake pans and let the cake layers cool. (If the caramel has gotten too cold to turn out, place the pans in a pan of hot water for a few seconds to loosen.)
- While the cakes are cooling, prepare the frosting:
- Using an electric mixer beat the remaining ¼ cup of butter with the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar and remaining 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract and beat until smooth and fully combined.
- Place 1 cake on a serving plate, pecan side up.
- Spread with half of the frosting.
- Place the remaining cake layer on top of the frosting, pecan side up, and spread the top with the remaining frosting.
- Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup of pecans on top.
- Refrigerate, covered in plastic wrap, for at least 1 hour or up to 1 day ahead.
- To serve, warm the reserved caramel and serve on the side to drizzle on the slices of cake.
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.