Gluten Free Hot Pocket Sandwiches Recipe
Reason number 5,273 I will never be considered a “foodie” – I like Hot Pocket sandwiches.
There, I said it, it feels like a confession. A weight has been lifted off my chest!
Growing up I was encouraged to have an experimentive and sophisticated palate. I learned to love octopus, sea urchins, and snails. I dined on sweetbreads, oxtail, and tongue. My parents took us to fancy restaurants in Europe and street carts in Asia. It seems the culinary world was at my feet. With a few exceptions.
We were never allowed to have any fun, kid-oriented sugary cereals in our home. We didn’t eat Pop Tarts or frozen burritos. And we never had Hot Pockets. Stuff that could be considered “kid food” was never on the plate at home. Maybe that’s why as an adult I learned to love the occasional convenience food – not as a rule but as an exception, a treat.
Of course, traditional Hot Pockets are not gluten free but now there exists gluten free versions.
Of course, there was a reason that I wasn’t raised on convenience foods as a child and why I didn’t raise my boys that way – the products just aren’t that great for you, gluten free or not. With ingredients like sugar and carrageenan (whatever that is) these type of products should probably not be the mainstay of our diets or our children’s.
But as I said, I like Hot Pockets. So here is a version I came up with to make at home, allowing you to control the ingredients. And since I don’t really want to make gluten free pie crust from scratch to have a “convenience food,” I use Chebe bread mix for the crust – super simple, gluten, grain, and sugar free, and delish! This Gluten Free Hot Pocket Sandwiches recipe is for one of my favorite versions – ham, broccoli, and cheese – but you can fill these babies with what you like best!
Gluten Free Hot Pocket Sandwiches
- 1¼ cups diced cooked ham
- ¾ cup broccoli florets chopped
- ¾ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 (7.5 ounce) box Chebe Original Cheese Bread Mix
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 large eggs divided use
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
- In a bowl, combine the diced ham, broccoli, and cheddar cheese. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the bread mix, oil, Parmesan cheese, 2 eggs, and ¼ cup water. Mix well. Dump the mixture onto a clean work surface and knead until the dough is smooth, about 1 minute.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions. Place a piece of parchment or waxed paper on the work surface, place one portion of dough on top, top with another piece of parchment or waxed paper and roll into a rectangle about 12 by 8 inches. Cut the dough into six rectangles 4 by 2 ½ inches each. Place the rectangles on the prepared baking sheet.
- Divide the ham, broccoli, and cheese mixture evenly among the six rectangles. Spread to within half an inch of the border. Brush water around the edges of the dough.
- Roll and cut the remaining dough portion as with the first. Place a piece of cut dough on top of the ham, broccoli, and cheese mixture and press down at the edges to seal the dough.
- Mix the remaining egg with 1 tablespoon of water. Brush the top of the hot pockets with the egg wash, wait a minute then brush again.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owner’s. This blog accepts free manufacturers’ samples and forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. Affiliate links may be included in this post.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.