Layered Green Roots Casserole
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ pound fresh spinach washed
- 1 cup cooked white beans drained
- 2½ cups unsweetened almond or soy milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ¾ cup chickpea flour
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 medium potato peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- ½ small butternut squash peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- ½ small rutabaga peeled and sliced 1/16-inch thick
- 1 cup Ricki’s All-Purpose Gluten-Free flour (or any all-purpose gluten-free flour)
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ cup chilled virgin coconut oil
- ¼ cup plain unsweetened soy or almond milk
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease a 2-quart (8 cup) casserole dish.
In a medium skillet, sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil until just browned. Meanwhile, place the spinach, beans, milk, broth, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, and salt in a food processor. Puree until almost smooth. Add the cooked onion mixture and process again until well combined.
Spread about ½ cup of the spinach sauce over the bottom of the casserole dish, just to cover. Layer half each of the potato, squash, and rutabaga in the pan, overlapping the slices if necessary to create one thin layer of each vegetable. Top with half of the remaining sauce, then repeat the layers and finish with the sauce. Bake for 50 minutes.
In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt. Break the coconut oil into small pieces and scatter it over the flour, then pinch the mixture between your thumb and fingers until crumbly and all the oil is incorporated. Drizzle with the milk, then toss with a fork until it comes together in a moist yet crumbly mixture.
After the casserole has baked for 50 minutes, remove it from the oven and sprinkle with the crumble topping. Bake for another 30-40 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and the sauce is bubbling. Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.