Gluten Free, Grain Free Cup of Coffee Cake
This morning I woke up with a huge hankering for gluten free coffee cake. But I also woke up a tad late and there was no time to actually make coffee cake. Since I believe that cravings should not be ignored (within reason!) I had to get creative and figure out how to make coffee cake pronto.
I scrounged around my pantry and fridge and found half an apple, some almond flour, Wholesome! coconut sugar, a few chopped nuts, butter, eggs, almond milk, and some other odds and ends and figured I could work with that.
The good news is that using my microwave, I was able to make a gluten free, grain free cup of coffee cake in less than five minutes, and the better news is that this coffee cake is not only gluten free and grain free, but dairy free and refined sugar free, too.
This recipe makes one cup of coffee cake but if you want to share, you can make several. Just microwave them separately for best results.
I just love a guilt free indulgence, don’t you?
- ½ tablespoon butter or dairy free butter substitute
- 6 tablespoons almond flour
- 2 tablespoons Wholesome! coconut palm sugar you can also use brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons almond milk or milk of choice
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- ¼ apple peeled, cored, and diced (about ¼ cup diced)
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar you can also use brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt omit if using salted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts or other nut of choice
Melt ½ tablespoon butter in a microwave-safe mug for about 30 seconds on high power. Swirl the mug so it gets coated with butter. Add the 6 tablespoons almond flour, 2 tablespoons coconut sugar, almond milk, egg, vanilla, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, baking soda, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Mix well. Add the apple and mix in.
In a small bowl, combine the 2 tablespoons almond flour with 1 tablespoon butter, 1 tablespoon coconut sugar, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/8 teaspoon salt, if using. Smash the mixture together with a fork or your fingers until crumbly. Sprinkle on top of the cake. Top with nuts.
Microwave on high power for 1 minute, then continue microwaving at 10 second intervals until the cake has risen and set – it takes 1 minute 40 seconds in my microwave. Serve warm.
The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owner’s. This blog accepts free manufacturers’ samples and forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. Affiliate links may be included in this post.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.