Squash, Sage & Chestnut Lasagna
Vegan Squash, Sage & Chestnut Lasagna
1 hr 35 mins
2 hrs 10 mins
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: American, Italian
Servings: 6 servings
Calories: 394 kcal
- Extra-virgin olive oil or gluten-free nonstick cooking spray for greasing the pan
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 6 large gluten-free lasagna noodles or no-cook gluten-free lasagna noodles
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 3.5-ounce packages roasted whole chestnuts
- ¼ cup fresh sage leaves coarsely chopped
For the béchamel sauce:
- 1 12-ounce package firm silken tofu
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond or other non-dairy milk
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons vegan buttery spread such as Nutiva or Earth Balance
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½-¾ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt to taste
For the topping:
- ½ cup gluten-free breadcrumbs or ground almonds
- 1 tablespoon vegan buttery spread or coconut oil melted
- Pinch of kosher or fine sea salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika optional
Grease a 2-quart casserole dish and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the whole unpeeled squash on a baking sheet and bake until it is easily pierced with a knife, 30-40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit until cool enough to handle. Reduce heat to 350°F.
If required, par-boil your noodles while the squash bakes. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the noodles, and cook for about half the recommended cooking time, 5-6 minutes, just until they begin to soften and appear flexible. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
Next, heat a medium frying pan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil and onion. Sauté until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Crumble the chestnuts into the pan, leaving a few larger chunks. Add the sage and continue to cook until the sage begins to crisp a bit, 5-7 minutes. Turn off the heat.
Once the squash is cool, cut it in half and scoop out the seeds. Scoop the flesh into the frying pan with the onion-chestnut mixture, and coarsely mash with a fork, leaving some chunks of squash and chestnuts. Set aside.
Meanwhile, prepare the béchamel by combining all of the sauce ingredients in a blender and blending until silky smooth.
Make the topping by combining the breadcrumbs, buttery spread, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Toss until the crumbs are evenly coated.
To layer the lasagna, coat the bottom of the casserole dish with about ½ cup of the béchamel sauce. Place 3 lasagna noodles side by side over the sauce. Top with half the squash mixture and spread it out as best you can – don’t worry if there are a few empty spots here and there. Pour half the remaining béchamel sauce over top and spread to cover the squash mixture.
Repeat the layers of noodle, squash, and sauce one more time. Distribute the breadcrumb mixture evenly over top and then sprinkle with paprika, if desired.
Bake for 35-45 minutes, until the top is browned and the edges appear bubbly. Allow to cool for 10-20 minutes before slicing. May be frozen.
Vegan Squash, Sage & Chestnut Lasagna
Amount Per Serving
Calories 394 Calories from Fat 117
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13g 20%
Saturated Fat 2g 10%
Sodium 330mg 14%
Potassium 792mg 23%
Total Carbohydrates 63g 21%
Dietary Fiber 5g 20%
Protein 8g 16%
Vitamin A 274.5%
Vitamin C 51.7%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.