Gluten Free Healthier Red Velvet Doughnuts Recipe
Who doesn’t love a good doughnut? The problem is, doughnuts are typically filled with fat, calories, and sugar, and are deficient in nutrients. These Red Velvet Doughnuts are baked instead of fried, free of refined sugar and artificial coloring, and are nutrient-dense thanks to beets and cashews. To keep things simple, we used jarred beets instead of roasting or boiling fresh beets – just make sure you don’t get the pickled variety.
- Gluten-free nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup jarred or canned beets not pickled
- ¼ cup grapeseed or other neutral flavored oil
- 1¼ cups gluten-free flour blend
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup milk any kind
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 batch Maple Cashew “Cream Cheese” Frosting recipe follows
- ¼ cup chopped pistachios or cashews optional garnish
Preheat the oven to 450°F. Spray 2 (6-count) doughnut pans with cooking spray.
Combine the beets and oil in a food processor and process until smooth.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another mixing bowl, whisk together the beet mixture, maple syrup, eggs, milk, and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk to combine. Spoon or pipe the batter into the doughnut pans, filling each form about ¾ full. Bake for 7-9 minutes or until the doughnuts spring back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted into a doughnut comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 2-3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling completely. Frost with frosting and sprinkle with chopped nuts, if desired.
- ¾ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
Cover the cashews with boiling water. Let sit for 30 minutes. Drain. Place in a food processor or blender and process until very smooth, scraping down the sides, as needed. Add the maple syrup, lemon juice, vanilla, and salt and process until fully combined.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.