Pimento Cheese Dip
Dips are a treacherous food group to navigate when it comes to being gluten-free and attending or hosting a party. So, if a party for the big game next Sunday is on your schedule, be cautious of the dips!
If you’re hosting the party yourself, you have all the control in making sure not only the dips but all other food served is safe for you to eat. If you’re not hosting, then it’s a little more difficult to ensure you don’t get glutened, but there are ways to be proactive about it.
- First, plan to eat before you go if you’re unsure of what will be served, that way you aren’t starving and in a bad mood because of it!
- Second, plan to bring a dish or two that you can eat. A veggie platter, a dip and some dippers that are safe (see the recipe below), chicken wings or meatballs, etc. Be sure to bring your own serving utensils.
- Third, ask before you go if any of the dishes will be naturally gluten-free and then just inform the host of a couple best practices to keep them from being cross-contaminated (separate serving utensils, a small note next to the dish that says gluten-free, etc.). A little bit of pre-planning and just talking with the host briefly to gage their understanding of gluten-free foods can go a long way in ensuring you have a good time and can enjoy some of the foods that are served.
For those of you who want to make a delicious dip to serve at your own party or to bring to someone else’s party, I highly suggest this simple Pimento Cheese Dip with Grilled MYBREAD Pita and Baguette Crostini. This bread is fantastic, if you haven’t tried it yet! They have pita, baguettes, breadsticks, and dinner rolls – and all of them are so good. And best of all? They are not only gluten-free but also free from eggs, nuts, dairy, and soy, so they are basically the perfect bread to serve at parties. You never know what foods people are avoiding – whether for medical reasons or for dietary preferences like vegans – so why not serve something that includes as many of your guests as possible?
(Although the MYBREAD products are dairy-free and egg-free, this dip isn’t dairy-free or egg-free but you could make it with egg-free mayo, vegan cheddar, and vegan cream cheese or you could make the Pimento Cheese Dip as one option for your guests and provide a vegan dip like Roasted Carrot Hummus or Vegan “Crab” Dip as another option.)
- 16 ounces sharp cheddar cheese , grated (4 cups grated)
- 8 ounces cream cheese , at room temperature
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 (7-ounce) jar pimentos, drained
- 1-2 teaspoons hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Cream the cheddar and cream cheeses and mayonnaise together either in a food processor or mixer until creamy and well combined. Add the pimentos, hot sauce, salt, and pepper and mix well.
Serve with grilled pita and toasted baguettes. (Brush pita with olive oil and grill for 2 minutes per side and/or slice a baguette into crostini pieces, brush with olive oil, and grill or bake for about 2 minutes per side.)
The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owner’s. This blog accepts free manufacturers’ samples and forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. Affiliate links may be included in this post.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.