Gluten-Free Grilled Chicken Teriyaki Bowls & Crispy Sesame Chicken Tenders
Today I’m bringing you chicken two ways! They have nothing in common in terms of texture – one is crispy, the other is tender; or in terms of presentation – one is in the form of tenders and the other in a bowl with veggies and rice; or in terms of cooking method – one is baked and the other is grilled. So, what ever do these Gluten-Free Grilled Chicken Teriyaki Bowls and Crispy Sesame Chicken Tenders have in common? …
They both are packed with delicious Asian-inspired flavors thanks to the use of Kikkoman ingredients. The teriyaki bowls use – you guessed it – teriyaki sauce! The chicken tenders use a whopping 4 ingredients from Kikkoman – sesame oil, gluten-free soy sauce, Panko bread crumbs, and rice vinegar.
Since Asian cuisines are often hard to find gluten-free because of the use of conventional soy sauce (which contains wheat, not just soybeans!), I like to make a lot of Asian dishes at home, where I know it will be prepared safely. Don’t get me wrong, there Asian restaurants around the country that prepare gluten-free food safely, but it’s one of those things that is a bit more challenging since soy sauce is not just in foods as soy sauce but it’s also used in other sauces and marinades; for example, soy sauce is the base of teriyaki sauce. Unless you’re very familiar with the gluten-free options at local restaurants or at some of the national chains that offer GF foods, like P.F. Chang’s, for example, I highly suggest re-creating your favorite Asian dishes at home! Kikkoman can help you do that.
Gluten-Free Grilled Chicken Teriyaki Bowls
- ¾ cup Kikkoman® Gluten-Free Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1½ pounds boneless , skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 red or yellow bell peppers , seeded, deveined, and thinly sliced
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 zucchini , cut in half lengthwise then sliced
- 3 cups hot cooked white rice
- 2 green onions , thinly sliced on the diagonal, for garnish
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds , for garnish
- Combine Kikkoman Gluten-Free Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce and sugar in measuring cup, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove ½ cup of mixture and pour over chicken in large resealable storage bag. Press air out of bag and seal bag. Turn bag over several times to coat chicken well. Marinate for 15 minutes.
- Add enough water to remaining teriyaki sauce mixture to measure ⅔ cup; stir in cornstarch. Place in a small saucepan and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute, or until sauce boils and thickens slightly, adding an additional tablespoon of Kikkoman Gluten-Free Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce, if needed.
- Cook chicken on a well-oiled grill for 3 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Cover loosely with foil and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
- While chicken is resting, place vegetables in a grill basket, close the grill lid, and cook until crisp-tender, tossing occasionally, 5-10 minutes.
- Cut chicken into ½-inch slices and serve over rice in large individual serving bowls with vegetables on the side. Drizzle with sauce and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
Watch this recipe in action:
Crispy Sesame Chicken Tenders
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, top with a wire cooling rack, and spray the rack with cooking spray.
- Heat a dry, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the Panko in an even layer and cook, stirring frequently, until it starts to brown. Add the sesame seeds and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture is a deep golden brown. Remove from heat, stir in the oil and salt, coating the Panko and seeds well. Pour mixture into a shallow bowl.
- Combine the mayonnaise, soy sauce, and sesame oil in another shallow bowl.
- Dredge the chicken tenders in the mayonnaise mixture, then coat in the Panko, and place on the rack of the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Serve with the dipping sauce.
- Combine the rice vinegar, soy sauce, honey, chili garlic sauce, and sesame oil. Pour into a small serving bowl, top with the green onions and sesame seeds.
Watch this recipe in action:
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.