Gluten-Free Sweet & Spicy Wings
Tomorrow is a big day here in the U.S. A very official, very big football game that starts with Super and ends with Bowl. (Here at Simply Gluten Free, we avoid using the official name of the game – first it was because we heard the NFL takes copyright enforcement very, very seriously and we didn’t quite understand when we can and can’t use it in our magazine – at this point we just stick with calling it the Big Game and now it’s just kind of funny to try to figure out other ways we can refer to the game without saying the words with the initials S.B.)
Anyways … here in Florida we are happy that our beloved Tampa Bay Buccaneers are playing this year! Woo hoo! With big football games comes big appetites, and that’s where this delicious Sweet & Spicy Wings recipe comes into play.
If you need to whip up a dish that’s delicious, easy, quick, and affordable, you really can’t beat these wings. You make the marinade, toss the wings in them, let sit for at least 20 minutes while you prep other food or clean your house or take a walk around the neighborhood or catch up with us on social media (hint hint), and then you pop them in the oven and in 30 minutes or so you’ve got yourself sweet and spicy wings that everyone will enjoy!
What I love about these is that they are allergy-friendly – not only are they gluten-free (of course) but they are also nut-free but still have that Thai flair I was going for. That’s thanks to the use of SunButter – a nut-free sunflower seed spread. If you want to make these soy-free you can swap the soy sauce for coconut aminos.
Let’s go Bucs!
Check out more of my gluten-free nut-free SunButter recipes.
Gluten-Free Sweet & Spicy Wings Recipe
- 3 pounds chicken wings
- ½ cup SunButter
- ⅓ cup honey
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons tamari or gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce , depending on spice level you prefer
- ½ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon white sesame seeds
- Lime wedges , optional for serving
- Cut the wings into 3 parts (drum, flat, and tip) and save the tips for making chicken stock (they freeze well).
- In a large bowl combine the SunButter, honey, oil, tamari, vinegar, and chili garlic sauce. Stir well so everything is fully combined. Add the wings, toss to coat, and let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes. (You can also marinate in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours.)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Transfer the wings to two ungreased 9 by 13 baking dishes in single layers. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until the juices in the wings run clear. Sprinkle with salt and sesame seeds. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.