Gluten-Free Fried Calamari
With just 5 ingredients (not including water, oil, salt, and pepper) this Gluten-Free Fried Calamari recipe is a simple, tasty tapas dish!
- 2 pounds (900 g) squid, cleaned
- 1 cup (120 g) gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (2.3 g) smoked paprika
- Kosher or fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon (1.2 g) freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil , for frying
- Lemon wedges , for serving
- If not already done, cut the squid bodies into rings about ½-inch thick.
- Pour enough of the oil into a saucepan to reach a depth of 2 inches. Heat to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, and the pepper. Line a plate with several layers of paper towels. Put half the flour mixture into a large food storage bag. Add a handful of the squid rings and shake well. Shake off the excess flour and very carefully drop into the hot oil. Cook for 3 minutes or until lightly golden and crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on the paper towels and sprinkle very lightly with salt. Continue with more squid until you need more flour, then add the rest to the bag and continue until all the squid is cooked. If you have squid tentacles, use the same process.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges.
If you don’t want to fry the squid right before serving, you can fry them an hour ahead of time and reheat. Leave uncovered at room temperature for a maximum of 2 hours. Line a baking sheet with foil, spray with gluten-free nonstick cooking spray and broil for about 2 minutes to re-crisp but watch carefully so they don’t burn. No thermometer? Check to see if your oil is hot enough by dipping the handle of a wooden spoon or a chopstick into the oil. If the oil starts steadily bubbling, then the oil is hot enough for frying. If the oil bubbles very, very vigorously, then the oil is too hot and needs to cool off a touch. If no or very few bubbles pop up, then it is not hot enough.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 207 Calories from Fat 27
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g5%
Vitamin A 215IU4%
Vitamin C 7mg8%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.